|Thinking deeply about hot springs|
1. What do city officials in Beppu, Japan, award to bathers who soak in 88 different hot springs?
a. A black belt b. A black towel c. A black T-shirt d. A black bar of soap
2. What is special about Hirauchikaisen Onsen on the island of Yakushima, Kagoshima?
a. It is only accessible at high tide b. It is next to a live volcano c. Monkeys bathe there d The water is dark red
3. The famous bathing "hot spring monkeys" of Nagano, Japan, are ...
a. Japanese macaques b. Japanese squirrel monkeys c. Japanese gibbons d. Japanese marmoset
|Searching the sea for the answers|
4. Which healthy substance has been added to just a few hot spring baths in Japan? Perhaps the best example of this can be found at a hot spring ryokan in Ureshino, Kyushu.
a. citrus fruits b. vitamins c. green tea d. protein powder
5. Which Japanese city made a promotional video that showed amusement park rides turned into hot spring baths?
a. Hakone b. Sapporo c. Kyoto d. Beppu
6. Taking a sand bath (sunayu in Japanese) means ...
a. Rubbing sand on one's skin b. Being buried in hot steamy sand c. Experiencing a dirty bath d. Soaking in a bath that has a sandy bottom
7. Which type of Japanese bath is connected with the story of a thief who was boiled to death?
a. Goemonburo b. Uchiyu c. Rotenburu d. Kazokuburu
8. Some hot springs were reportedly discovered after hunters noticed animals such as cranes and ___________ bathing and healing injuries.
a. Rabbits b. Eagles c. Deer d. Turtles
9. The thermal water in hot springs is sometimes ...
a. Clear b. White c. Black d. Green d. Tea-brown e. Red f. All of these are correct
10. Yunohana are substances that are collected from some hot springs. Yunohana are often sold as souvenirs.What are these?
a. healthful bacteria b. soap c. algae d. mineral deposits
|Hotel hot spring in autumn|
Question 1 B. A black towel
Question 2 A. It is only accessible at high tide
Question 3 A. Japanese macaques
Question 4 C. Green tea
Question 5 D. Beppu
Question 6 B. Being buried in hot steamy sand
Question 7 A. Goemonburo
Question 8 C. Deer
Question 9 F. All of these
Question 10 D. Mineral deposits